Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  April 9, 2013 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
final check of the dow this afternoon. you can see we're wrapping things up were from the crime scene but the dow had a great day because of new information out of china that inflation is in check and they won't have to raise the interest rates. the dow is up. continuing coverage now. >> neil: like this. i.r.s. is tracking your every move on facebook and twitter? welcome, glad to have you, i'm neil cavuto. it looks like the tax man might collect more than taxes. reports today the i.r.s. is scoping social media sites not trying to friend you but check up on you. melissa frances on how the i.r.s. may use the net to anytime more dough from you. >> this is just like people who call in sick to work and then post pictures of themselves at the beach having a drink on facebook and we're upset when
1:01 pm
the boss sees it. the i.r.s. is taking to facebook. this is according to a privacy expert to says this tax season the i.r.s. will mine data on facebook and social media looking for quotes like my new this and that. you buy a new car and post the picture but you're behind on tax payments. these are things the i.r.s. would look for. these reports took off like fire on the internet and people are not very happy about this idea. listen. >> it's an invasion of pryce privacy. >> that's horrible. >> i have facebook, nobody should be involved. >> why should the government snoop if you cheat on your taxes on people like common day people. >> the u.s. government has gone mad. >> scandalous. >> i do not have facebook nor twitter and that's one of the reasons why. >> stay out of my facebook, stay out of my wallet, thank you very much. >> see, you can see they were
1:02 pm
thrilled about this idea. the i.r.s. stepping back issuing a statement saying suggestions the i.r.s. is using social media to target taxpayers are wrong. audits are based on information contained on a tax return and not posting on social media sites. at the same time, though, they did comment to a few sites saying that if people are already red flagged and under investigation, they could perhaps go look on social media to see what they're doing. this is a tactic that law enforcement as used in a lot of venues, so it's easy to believe that's the case. there are two lessons, and those people on the street we talked to clearly got it. either pay your taxes or stay off facebook. seems pretty clear. >> neil: in other words, the i.r.s. says we don't go on right away but the trigger would be someone who claims she's making $30,000 a year and all of a sudden they're featured in pictures on the internet next to
1:03 pm
a maserati. >> if you've been red flagged they might examine it. who knows what causes the red flags. ii think the i.r.s. is always watching and we're in trouble. >> we love all of guys at the i.r.s. thank you very much. you think all these tweets are private or all these -- whatever you do on the internet is private? think again. can they do this? >> they can because it's not private information. people think when they get updates about facebook privacy that protects them. anything you put in the public, any information you put on line is stored, collecteddable and used against you. so they absolutely can and it makes sense they're monitoring people that are dis engenerous, not filing taxes or saying they're broke and then standing next to a maserati.
1:04 pm
>> they're not starting the hunt on facebook or twitter, but if your return has been flagged for whatever reason, then is could be an open game and all that is openly legal? >> yes. and the thing is, of course there are always going to be people out there in speculation that the i.r.s. and everyone has a master database and someone's compiling information. the statement is if we're already looking at you, you're putting this information in the public, we're going to use it to our benefit and you can't blame them. it's another method of data collection. if you remember before -- you and i talked about when collectors come in and chase you and someone goes into court and says i have no money? really? you were just on a cruise ship. >> neil: it could have been a carnival cruise ship. >> now, let's talk about steps you could take to protect yourself. >> some of the things i recommend, you don't have to use
1:05 pm
your real name. facebook says it's against policy to have multiple different personas or sites out there, but you can do that. you can have a couple pages. don't put personal information out there, your social security number, date of birth, where you live u your phone number or ways to track you. keep it more anonymous. or use your nickname as opposed to real name. those are things people should do or if you're worried, don't have a account. deactivated. that's the smartest think, avoid those sites if you're worried and ducking. >> neil: or if you have a license or federal i.d., uploading it seems stupid but people do it. >> people do it. and anna nicole instagram, theyu want to recover information, scan a copy of a government issued i.d. and we'll give it to you. where do you think that's going? they have a database, people can
1:06 pm
buy those lists from them and what are you going to do? i would say let the pictures go and start a new profile but people go okay, they want my social security number, let me type it in. i don't think people realize not only does the government use it, it's a way for identity thieves to take your information and bankrupt you or put you in a bad position. >> neil: good points. be very careful. you can do anything on the world for the world to see. great seeing you. >> thank you, neil. >> neil: from watching your twitter feed, attracting how much money you put into your ira account, the president's budget expected to cap how much people sock away in retirement accounts, probable 3 million bucks. it's unclear if that means anything above that amount would be taxed but you could surmise that. to andy on the tax hit that could be coming. the author of job creation, how
1:07 pm
it really works. a lot of people hear $3 million and say that isn't me but it could be you because iras collect and gather over a lifetime. what do you think if they start putting caps on that? >> it would effect very few people because you can only put 10 to $12,000 a year in if you're a couple. the way in a mitt romney had a large amount in his account, and i don't know how that happened -- >> one could -- >> what probably happened, say you bought apple stock at 50 cents and put it in an ira and it's worth hundreds of dollars. the appreciation, you wouldn't have to recognize that on tax returns and you wouldn't sell the stock in the account. but i think that's the only way you could get that. >> neil: you have to try to get money and we talk of this age of climate closing loopholes,
1:08 pm
breaks in lawnses. part of that is limiting breaks, too. and putting a ceiling on how much you can collect in an account without having to pay taxes on it. >> i think there's a difference between dealing with accounts like this and taking money out of people's pockets they would invest. all the money in iras is taxed. >> this is one idea floated around. we'll get confirmation tomorrow but what it is showing is that they have to come up with more creative ways to get money. president's offering his pound of flesh by looking at social security and all that. we'll get into that later. the bottom is line is that they're looking for revenues. this is one way to get revenues. >> then there's -- the real revenue sources would be eliminate deduction for interest on home loans or took away deduction for state taxes. >> neil: or limit them.
1:09 pm
>> that's hard because you hurt the home triindustry, which housing is coming back. when you limit that state tax deduction, the president's limiting it on people in new york, illinois and california where you have high taxes. those are his base states. so -- >> neil: not anymore. he's not running. >> they're the democratic party and he has an election in 2014 though he's not a candidate. >> neil: let me get a sense from you about what we're talking about here. the fear was -- remember when they -- they did put a cap on the mortgage deduction. if your mortgage was over 1 million-dollar. >> right. >> and everyone was -- the death to the industry. it wasn't and we moved on. but let's say we would be fooled again, that it wouldn't be that bad. >> when -- during the -- when putting the platform together for the republican party i was on the committee and there was a push to not include mention of
1:10 pm
the mortgage -- eliminating the mortgage deduction. the people in the committee who were from that industry went nuts. they really think it's going to have a profound impact if you limit or reduce or eliminate the deduction for mortgage interest. so i'm not in that industry. i can't say. i didn't buy a home because i get a deduction. i have a loan on my home because i get a deduction which i would pay off if it went away but that doesn't mean i wouldn't buy another home. >> neil: it would make you weigh how much of a home you buy. >> just like any other business decision. you weigh the ex pensions and potential benefit and this figures into people's decision. i'm more worried about my son-in-law to be to came to my house over easter and had his picture takennen on my persuades -- mercedes. >> you have the most beautiful
1:11 pm
women. >> and free burgers. >> neil: i don't know if you're familiar about this guy manages to get some of the world's most stunning women advertising his burgers. heidi klum, the latest. how do you do this? >> we actually have actresses and these spokes model people calling us to be in our commercials because we do a nice job presenting not only the products but the ladies and it's helpful to their career. paris, kim kardashian. >> neil: they don't strike me as burger eaters. >> you talk to them, they tell you they are. what they eat when i'm not there, i don't care. >> neil: the ad is a home run. >> they could be vegetarian. >> neil: i see the next ad. a savvy businessman. in the meantime, i want you to look at this. he talked about the underlying economy, the dow at an all-time
1:12 pm
high again. up 12% so far this year. the catalyst has been china, concerns the economy might be slowing down or at the very least, facing stagflation, a slowing economy. neither appeared in the latest numbers and that could be fickle and fleeting. whatever stock you take in a day's movement in the markets, they do not appear to be worried. watch tomorrow. different data comes out and we'll go to hell in a hand basket. today the worries over china, much ado about nothing to go back to your burgers. >> liberals are up in arms. what are they really afraid of? after this. [ engine sputters ]
1:13 pm
[ dennis ] allstate wants everyone to be protected on the road. whether you're an allstate customer or not. all you have to do is call. [ female announcer ] call and sign up for good hands roadside assistance today. [ dennis ] are you in good hands?
1:14 pm
[ laughs ] whoo. ♪ oh. nice! great! [ laughs ] a shot like that calls for a postgame celebration. [ male announcer ] share what you love with who you love. kellogg's frosted flakes. they're gr-r-eat! kellogg's frosted flakes. all stations come over to mithis is for real this time. step seven point two one two. rify and lock. command is locked. five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers.
1:15 pm
1:16 pm
>> neil: the president's budget comes out tomorrow but liberal groups and unions are protesting today, delivering petition with the more than 2 million signatures to the white house. they have a problem with the proposed entitlement cuts, particularly with social security. steve laser would have delivered the position to the white house himself but decided to hang out with us. who can blame him. good to see you. >> great to see you, neil. >> neil: your problem with this is what? >> i think if you need to raise revenue, you need today various things to improve the economy, don't do it on the backs of seniors, many of whom earn $20,000 a year or less and 70% of that from social security. any cuts to those folks makes a big deal. >> neil: you call it a cut. they still get increase in
1:17 pm
benefits, just changing the formula so that in some cases it's less, some more. >> when we talk about seniors, i go to aarp and see their calculations. they figure the average senior will lose 40 to $50 a year. that doesn't mean much. >> neil: by switching. but the increase is less than planned. >> correct. >> it doesn't sound like a lot but in 12 years, $5 a month. in 24 years, $100 a month. you retire at 65. by the time ear 89 you get $100 a month less. for a lot of folks that makes a difference. >> neil: you argue that even looking at social security or medicare or medicaid, some of the big entitlements. a lot of social security recipients hate the word entitlement because they say i've been putting into this. i'll leave that aside. what i'm looking at is it canal
1:18 pm
be sustained the way it's going. fewer workers paying in for those who are retiring and taking money out isn't sustainable math. even the president has now acknowledged that by offering this alternative or this fix. why is that so bad? to sustained a program. >> neil: a number of us have a perfect alternative. raise the cap. >> neil: raise taxes? >> raise taxes. you hate when i say that. when we talk about folks making over 113 thousand dollars a year, it only affects those folks. i hit the cap a couple times in my life. it's not money that you count on. it's not part of your budget. it comes in august and september, october for some. and it's nice extra money. i'm not saying -- i don't have anything against people getting that extra perk at the end of the year but it's an easy way to solve social security that doesn't hurt seniors. >> neil: we're back to raise more money rather than shave the
1:19 pm
growth of a program over the course of time to protect it. you argued by raising the tax, raise the income tax rate, to sustain wall street and pay the bills. more spending and more bills so they want to raise taxes more. no one addresses the underlying problem. the immediate solution and you're not alone is raise taxes. >> compared to hurting the vulnerable, that's an easy call. >> neil: why do you say hurting the vulnerable when the trajectory we're on, if we don't address it, will kill the vulnerable. >> not if you raise the cap. a gives us a couple extra dozen years. >> neil: how do you know? whatever projection we make, we're always off. >> it's going to push things out at least another 30 or 40 years. >> neil: how do you known? it's like medicare or medicaid, any slight adjustment is greeted as killing granny or forcingal poe down their throat.
1:20 pm
why is it always portrayed that way? >> i hado i had another solution last time. we need to go back to a situation where we have pensions for everyone. that's going to take pressure off social security at least. medicare, i have to sit here and tell you i don't have a solution for that. >> neil: but you will knowledge, whether it's social security, more taxing, all of these have to be addressed, right? so do you think the president's loyal base kind of sticks to to him when he wakes up and sees that reality and they don't? >> i think everybody sees that reality. we just have a different way of addressing the problem. i think anytime you have a situation like this, i'm goings the vulnerable shut not -- should not be harmed. that concerns me. i'm sealing people, 70, 80. >> your solution all the time is raise taxes. >> not always. i'm happy to look at cutting
1:21 pm
cost. >> neil: so you wouldn't tough social security. >> i wouldn't. >> neil: theretherein lies the problem, you're not budging. >> i am, just in a different direction. >> neil: we'll have more, including developments that worry me. not about this guy, this guy. it doesn't matter where a good idea comes from,
1:22 pm
it only matters that it shows up and makes things better. in that spirit, verizon is proud to announce the powerful answers award.
1:23 pm
10 million dollars in prizes for the best ideas. ideas so big, they have the power to change everything. whether it's our inspiration, or yours, the world's biggest challenges deserve even bigger solutions. the powerful answers award from verizon. tired of fees piling up introducing chase liquid. the reloadable card with no fee reloads and withdrawals at chase atms. all for one flat monthly fee so there's zero confusion. get rid of prepaid problems. get chase liquid.
1:24 pm
>> there's crime and vice and wickedness everywhere in the united states. wouldn't be a good idea for the united states to concentrate on its own affairs? >> neil: not so fast, austin powers. are you serious? this is a british member of the parliament ribbing the u.s. over handling of north korea amid north korea is planning to test launch a missile so that's our
1:25 pm
fall. kt mcfarland says he's full of snit. what is the deal? >> i know. george galloway is a known crazy guy from scotland. >> neil: scotland. >> but he doesn't like anybody. he didn't like margaret thatcher. he said george bush and tony burglary blair killed more people that the hitler. he was kicked out of the labor party because they thought he was crazy. >> neil: that says a lot. he's to crazy for us. >> no, i don't think anybody takes him seriously but his point it's america's fault, everybody's america's fault. if you look where the world is on the north korean increases, even the chinese leaders have said no country should be allowed to take the -- endanger world peace and take the world
1:26 pm
to the brink of war. >> neil: the knucklehead still does his thing. how do you rein him in. >> this is something north korea does every year. they create a crisis because they want food, fuel, oil. the problem is now he has nuclear weapons for the first time. what happens is likely to happen tomorrow, this week, he'll shoot off a test missile to commemorate grandpa's birth. i don't think anybody shoots it down unless it looks like it's going to south korea. >> neil: that's what i worry about, if it veers off courts. >> then you have a problem. we shoot it down and he looks like he's got 0 to do something tougher to maintain his credibility. >> neil: a lot of what china does in reaction to that. if we are or the japanese or someone else shot it down because it was headed to harm's way or whatever, what would
1:27 pm
china do? >> hopefully china's talking behind the scenes to try to rein him in. i'm not sure he listens. what he'll do is escalate it. he shay shell an island in south korea. he did that two years ago. he didn't have any consequence. >> neil: what does he want? >> the world's attention. he's an i am if immature kids wo wants to show i'm as tough as dad and gramps. the americans blinked first. he wants fuel and food and stuff he needs to keep things going but what he really wants, he's a nuclear weapons power and wants the world to acknowledge it. >> neil: the last thing you want to see to do is look safe and because you don't have leverage. we reward kooks by giving money, support or food. >> the thing is now so far out of control, you want to defuse
1:28 pm
this crisis. nobody wants to go to war over this pipsqueak. the iranians are watching saying they don't stop the north korean even though bush and -- nobody's going to stop us, but i think there's a window of opportunity which is the united states should and could quietly sit down with the new chinese leader saying this has gone to far. you don't want north korea to encourage south korea and japanning to nuclear. >> neil: then we'll come away with the opinion that the scottish guy did that the filthy americans -- >> no, austin powers is where you'll see this guy next. >> neil: he does look like a sequel. we will destroy the entire earth. doesn't it look the way it's shot and everything else? when brown begs china for green, you should see red. what the donald says is
1:29 pm
being played for a fool. the donald is next. (announcer) at scottrade, our clients trade and invest exactly how they want. with scottrade's online banking, i get one view of my bank and brokerage accounts with one login... to easily move my money when i need to. plus, when i call my local scottrade office, i can talk to someone who knows how i trade. because i don't trade like everi'm with scottrade. me.
1:30 pm
(announcer) scottrade. awarded five-stars from smartmoney magazine.
1:31 pm
[ male announcer ] you've reached the age where you don't back down from a challenge. this is the age of knowing how to make things happen. sowhy let erectile dysfunction get in your way? this is the age of knowing how to make things happen. talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure.
1:32 pm
side effects include headache, flushing, upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. this is the age of taking action. viagra. talk to your doctor. by the armful? by the barrelful? e carful? how the bowlful? campbell's soups give you nutrition, energy, and can help you keep a healthy weight. campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. >> neil: i saw this story and this is the first guy i thought of because i think you could consider trump ticked because jerry brown has no doubt has him seeing red. he's in china, hat in hand as we speak, the gov wants china to show california the love to
1:33 pm
invest in his state and fund green projects. donald trump has a problem with that. donald on the phone with me right now. mr. trump, good to have you. >> hello, neil. >> neil: what do you make of this, hat in the hands with the chinese a little more than a week after the c.e.o. of apple apologized to the chinese even though he did nothing wrong. what do you make of what's going on? >> first of all i own apple stock. when i saw he apologized i realized he's perhaps not what we're looking for. that was a terrible thing the way he apologized. it's no steve jobs so i was disappointed to see that. and i'm disappointed in what's going on at apple to be honest. that was a very bad thing. for jerry to go over and talk about green. part of green -- i'm a believer, but part of green are the wind turbines and they're a disaster, ruining everything anywhere their path, killing thousands of birds, most of them made in
1:34 pm
china and they're a bad form of energy. very inconsistent. when you need it, the wind didn't blowing. the green energy things, every one of them are not working. and it's wonderful to say and speak green but you have to have energy that also works. so we have to be careful with green energy. in san francisco where the chinese are building the bay bridge, it's a catastrophe. the coughs overruns are through the roof and jerry has to be careful. china is not our friend. >> the argument has always been we kind of tiptoe around china because they own all our debt and every u.s. c.e.o. worth his or her salt wants to suck up to them to do business which could explain the cookie -- kooky letter from the apple c.e.o. for infractions they didn't make in a country where china steals
1:35 pm
their stores and makes them their own. why do we feel beholding to china? you told me a couple visiting a the chinese need us far more than we need them. >> china wouldn't exist without us. if we taxed chinese products coming in, they would go out of business and have depressions like you haven't seen before. we have all of the cards. with you just don't know it. our leaders are not smart. our leaders are laughed at. i do business with the chinese, we're wonderful people but they're very smart and they think our leaders are stupid and they're right. what they're getting away with. >> neil: what do you think is stupid? >> first of all they're manipulating their currency, which is hard not to do business with them if you're building buildings, and buying so much from china, it's so sad but it's all -- it's not great product. it's all through a manipulation
1:36 pm
of currencies. frankly if we would do what we should, give china a quick and very strong rebuke and warning, and -- look what they're doing, as an example, in north korea, they could stop that in one phone call. >> neil: why aren't they? >> they're taunting us because they think we're not the smartest. >> neil: you don't buy what kt mcfarland says, that they're flummox about this guy. >> they're not, they love that we're spending time working on this problem so they're in afghanistan taking out the raw materials. so they're in iraq, taking the oil and other places and libya, take the oil. i mean it's incredible. so you know, it's almost like a diversion tactic. what is going on with china, they could solve literally that problem with one phone call if we wanted. >> neil: interesting,
1:37 pm
interesting. it's not being solved now. >> it's not being solved and it's a disgrace. you know, look, north korea can't survive without china. they get their food, weapons, everything. it's obvious to anybody with a brain. >> neil: all right. donald trump, continued success, not that you need it. >> thank you very much. take care of yourself. >> neil: if you play professional football you kind of know in advance it's rough. but if you get roughed up, should the nfl pay up? our legal eagles take to the field to try this.
1:38 pm
1:39 pm
1:40 pm
from the gridiron to the gavel, today a court hearing to decide whether the nfl will take a hit. players suing saying the nfl should pay. the now it's up to the judge. angela and rebecca are here to try this.
1:41 pm
>> you know, this is a issue procedurally. we're not talking about substantive action. we're saying the nfl is being sued by former retired players who are saying i got very bad concussions, now i have demint at a, i can't see straight, i'm having problems related to what their doctors say was improper treatment, pushed back to the field too soon so they're -- >> neil: do they have a case? >> they could. they're suing in federal court and there are ways around collective bargaining that allows them. >> neil: so they could. >> i disagree. i think the judge will grant the nfl motion to dismiss. and i think where there may be a case is the pre-1968 players, post 1968 there was a collective bargaining agreement to deal with injuries you may have received as a player. so i thing ink the players are
1:42 pm
sketchy, punters, kickers, some who never played a game in the nfl who are suing. >> neil: there are some legitimate cases. >> you assume the risks when you become a football player. all are given medical advice and they insist on playing because of the adrenaline and -- >> that's a factual issue. >> neil: it's a rough sport. you have to know. i played football as a kid. i got injured a lot sitting on the bench. >> neil: you got injured in practice. >> i had the cleanest uniform on the team. my point is that is there something to recognize, well, it's a violent support. >> exactly. 1903, the "new york times" had an argument that said the headlined read this is a violent support. 18 football players died during that time. you know it's common sense. you don't need a doctor telling you it's a risk. >> the issue is, players are agreeing it is a dangerous
1:43 pm
sport. they agree they accepted the risk. they're saying when a doctor from the nfl, a brain injury trust the nfl created, told them you're fine to go back on the field, they assumed the risk. >> neil: then the clearance is to go back on the field. >> exactly. guess what, these players, many played pee wee football and they could have had concussions then. brain injuries have a genetic link. >> that is not -- >> of course it has -- >> they all have experts. >> many abused drugs and alcohol i wouldn't tell bottom line, regardless shall do you think the nfl will come out on top? >> i think they are. >> i think either way, procedurally it doesn't matter. what i'm saying is the nfl is still, even under the collective bargaining agreement, has to address this. >> neil: i wish we had more time but you saved a lot of it by
1:44 pm
talking over one another so that's not a problem. to another storm brewing, weather services international is predicting another active hurricane season with 16 tropical storms and hurricanes. brace yourself because this season could be a doozy. say it ain't so. what do you mean? >> we put out our forecast at weather bell on the 28th of march saying 16 storms and that the drought, major hits on the u.s. coast s likely to end this season. we have different methodology that enables us to get things out quicker and last year we predicted a fast start and big end to the season as far as enclose to the united states. >> neil: what's the factor this year? what will produce all these storms? >> well, it's very warm aloft in the tropics. last year it was not. the classic breeding grounds. most of the storms developed
1:45 pm
north of the classic breeding grounds. sandy the exception. this year is much more like the years we had in 2008. i hate to bring up 2005 but it's in the mix. i don't think we're going to see as many storms but i think what you're going to see is a lot oft of african waves developed early and the increase in the threat is likely to be to the islands and caribbean idols islands. northeast u.s. and the eastern seaboard. the eastern seaboard is open for major storms. irene and sandy were not major. in the 1950's, if we could throw up that tract chart, we had eight major hurricanes between '54 and '60 which is why it's laughable that it never happened. it was worse back then. >> neil: when you talk about
1:46 pm
severe storms, are we talking category 3 or better? >> yes. yeah, i think we're going to -- i think our -- if you want to call it luck, is about it to run out as far as major hurricanes on the u.s. coast. i have a scale i use that i think is more descriptive of what goes on. i think ike and argues to have were major hurricanes and people that went through it will agree. i think this year that the -- we're going to see storms we're not going to argue whether they're major hurricanes or not threaten the united states coastline as opposed to storms classified a certain way. it's like arguing human angels you can stick on the head of a needle. >> neil: # 7.5. that's what i was told. forget about the fourth rock from the sun, try just a rock.
1:47 pm
what have, should have, could have, is this the new nasa? the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news. is now providing answers families need. siemens. answers. but i wondered what a i tcustomer thought? is great, hi nia... nice to meet you nia, i'm mike. what do you drive? i have a ford explorer, i love my car. and you're treating it well? yes i am. there are a lot of places you could take your explorer for service, why do you bring it back to the ford dealership? they specifically work on fords. it seems to me like the best care. and it's equal or less money, so it's a value for me. get a free brake inspection and brake pads installed for just 49.95 after rebates when you use the ford service credit card. who doesn't enjoy value?
1:48 pm
1:49 pm
1:50 pm
can't afford the red planet in may you i interesting in you something that passes the planet. the new nasa, for the last man to walk on the moon a kick in the asteroid because the president's budget goal, is hundred million bucks to lasso and mine and asteroid not too many years from now. gene cernan says that seals it. not your dad's nasa. probably not your nasa, what happened? >> no, things have changed. particularly in the last four years. you know. the announcement we're not going to go to the moon in a lifetime.
1:51 pm
that was a given back when the president canceled consolation so what's the big deal in we've never had a goal to go anywhere. we could talk about asteroids and mar but that's all we do. i go back to what neil armstrong, jim lovell and i have been saying, we're on a mission to nowhere. >> neil: you know what is sad, and i was thinking of you, my friend, when this russian rocket with an american onboard to hook up with the international space station, we're hitching rides with the folks we beat to get into space in the first place. that's the best we can do. what did you make of that? i thought the scene was sur realty, indicative of our times. i'm not blasting the russians but it's a fall from grace for us. >> you know, we've come full circle. we beat the other guy way back
1:52 pm
in jfk time when he challenged us to go to the moon. we call him by a different name but we've taken the lead away and turned back around and give it to people we call the russians. we're talking about lassoing and asteroid, putting in in orbit around the moon. a spectacular challenge. we can't even put an american in space in american hardware. tell me where we're headed. we don't have to have a road map to know where we're going. >> neil: what about those that argue we have incredible unmanned efforts, rover on mars, another aircraft on the outer limits of the solar system and beyond, you don't need men and women to do this sort of thing. what do you say? >> well, it's been an age-old discussion and neil, you and i have talked about it a little
1:53 pm
bit. an in man program is so valuable. curiosity on mars is an incredible aachievement. we're going to learn more but the reason is so that humans can follow in the path of curiosity. that's the way it's been in the path and it's going to be in the future. the only reason we want to know what's over the mount and behind the hill is because we're going to go that. it's our nature. it's inbred in a human being's intellect. not just to see a picture of what it's like, but to be there and come back and know what it's like. you know, why are we going to mars? as human beings, some day, maybe just because it's there. maybe because there was, quote, humans or life there. they're saying we can find out, there's questions we can ask. there's a lot more up here in
1:54 pm
each one of us than in the entire curiosity machine. you cannot recreate the human inelectric:intellect. that's what it's all about. >> thank you, very good seeing you. >> all right, take care of yourself. >> you too. hoo-hoo. hoo-hoo...hoo-hoo. hoo-hoo hoo. sir... i'll get it together i promise... heeheehee. jimmy: ronny, how happy are folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico? ronny:i'd say happier than the pillsbury doughboy on his way to a baking convention. get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
1:55 pm
. ,. ♪
1:56 pm
using supercomputing and mobile technology over our secure network, verizon innovators are building a world of medical treatment data in the cloud. so doctors can make a more informed diagnosis from anywhere, in seconds rather than months. because the world's biggest challenges deserve even bigger solutions. powerful answers. verizon. we asked total strangers to watch it for us. thank you so much. i appreciate it. i'll be right back.
1:57 pm
they didn't take a dime. how much in fees does your bank take to watch your money? if your bank takes more money than a stranger, you need an ally. ally bank. your money needs an ally. >> neil: i told you once or twice that my dad used to tell me when i was a kid. neil, stay humble because in your case it will come in handy. his often blunt italian way was this. don't assume you will always be all that life has a way of changing things fast. things fast. former head of jcpenney knows that too well. a year ago ron johnson was the it all too well. the man who created the cool apple stores. the king of all things cool and everyone wanted in on
1:58 pm
ron's cool. and retailer j.c. penney sorely needed cool. actually j.c. penney sorely needed cash and johnson seemed just the retail ticket. a marketing maestro whose knack for selling was the stuff of legend. selling devices ain't exactly the same as selling devices. same as selling dresses. cool didn't carry. folks happily hang out at apple stores, jcpenney y not so much. in one of the most remarkable corporate tumults in history, from savior to stooge in less time than you can say do you fries with that? i suspect he's learned how quickly things change in life, especially when he remembers where he was a year ago. just like jay leno, also all that and king of the talk show show hill a year ago.
1:59 pm
or matt lauer who had just signed a huge contract as king of the morning show hill about a year ago. kings all until it all went kaput. i guess such is the ladder of life. the same ladder my dad used to advise me to remember who i was passing on the way up because i sure as heck would be bumping into them on the way down. he was right about my staying humble. one of the qualities i most admire about myself by the way. humble. one of the qualities i admire about myself. never forget they don't guarantee you won't get whacked in the bottom. enjoy the good times while they last but leave time to appreciate things like family and friends that i suspect are more lasting. lasting. five and dime lesson in life. five and dime lesson in life. ronald reagan budget director, the guy who was reagan's budget director, taken to the woodshed. ronald reagan ripped him a new


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on